At the beginning of my time here, I wrote several blogs about learning to drive. Well after a year and a half, I am quite good at driving in Honduras (although I may have to re-learn to drive in the States).
The rules of driving in Honduras is that there are no rules.
Police are not on the highways, they are stationed at the entrances to the city so anything goes on the highway.
For example, the speed limit is 60 kph(about 37 mph) on the highway. Most cars wouldn't dream of going any slower than 80 kph (50 mph) and usually drive about 100 kph (62 mph).
Those median lines? Forget about them.
No passing zones? No one follows them.
And driving is like one big game of chicken. I've seen the two lane highway fit four cars passing each other. No big deal.
If I drive like that in Wisconsin, I will be arrested, or at least heavily fined.
Driving in the city is another matter. There is A LOT of traffic, no matter what time of the day it is. People continue to drive fast and weave in and out of the lanes. Motorcyclists drive in between cars like they're threading a needle. And merging becomes a game of "my car is bigger than your car"...the biggest (or the least expensive) always wins.
Want to merge? Roll down the window and wave your hand. If the others are willing to let you in, they signal by flashing their lights. To show your appreciation, you give two short honks on your horn. I'm good at merging because I am a "rubia" aka I have lighter hair and skin...people are nicer to me when it comes to letting me in.
Another common trait for driving is being "conchudo". In English this word describes people who are rude and who don't necessarily consider others. For example, cars that pass on the shoulder of the highway because you are going to slowly. Or a car that merges when it is clearly not his turn. Or making an opening to pass when there is clearly not one. These people are conchudo. I have learned to be conchuda. It's not always a bad thing and is often necessary for driving in Tegucigalpa.
I am truly a Honduran driver, now that I have un-learned all the good driving techniques my parents taught me. Maybe they'll have to enroll me in driving school again?!
No comments:
Post a Comment