Friday, July 22, 2011

Jericho Visitors Part I

July was a month of fellowship which was so fantastic! At the Villa we had 17 visitors from 3 different countries. Each person/group brought their own blessings and gifts to the Villa and we were so spoiled.

What was so great for me is that I learned something from every visit and wanted to be able to share it with you.

ABUELA ANN (Canada)

Ann Draker has come to Jericho multiple times, her most recent being last October when Haeyoung, Betsy, Miriam, Elvia, and Eduardo were all out of the country.

This time Ann came for two weeks and brought her granddaughter Christina, and grandson-in-law Rik.

Ann turned 74 the day she came out to the Villa, but she works like she’s about 25. I honestly could not believe this woman! She weeded, and planted, and watered the gardens. She cleaned and did dishes and picked up. And that was just in the morning! In the afternoon, Ann somehow found more energy to go on walks with the kids and play games with them. I am in awe of this woman and I respect her so much for how she serves.

But the thing that Ann has taught me during her visits is how to listen. Ann is a great listener. There were times when I didn’t need anyone to tell me what to do or give me advice. I just needed someone to listen. And that person has always been Ann. She heard what I had to say, often gave me a hug, and let that be that. She didn’t feel the need to give me counsel or “fix” my problems. Rather, she let me express my feelings and verbally process. I am so grateful to Ann for being a listening ear at times when I needed it the most. She has been an example of what I need to do more of.

God has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth for a reason.
Sometimes the best thing we can do for a person, is be silent and listen.








The whole crew at the Villa.

Ann with Jung-hee. We were one big international family the week that Ann was here (Koreans, Honduras, Americans, and Canadians) and it was so wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment